Nevada DMV Driver's License Suspension Hearing
It is strongly advised that you request an administrative hearing to contest the validity of the suspension: there is nothing to lose and everything to gain. Unless you or your Las Vegas DUI attorney makes a formal request for a hearing within seven days of the arrest, the temporary license will expire and the suspension will automatically begin.
Hearings are generally conducted by an
Administrative Law Judge about four to seven months after the arrest, and at the address indicated below. The Trooper or Officer who made the arrest will be present to testify and be cross-examined by your attorney. Your attorney may also present other evidence and/or witnesses. Although you may be present and testify, it is often strategically to your advantage not to do so.
The administrative hearing is conducted in a manner somewhat similar to civil and criminal trials, but with an administrative judge and without a jury:
- Witnesses testify under oath.
- Witnesses may be cross-examined.
- The judge may subpoena witnesses or evidence.
- The judge may consider physical evidence.
- The judge may consider settlement offers.
- The judge must consider all appropriate statutes, regulations and case law.
- The judge may or may not issue an immediate ruling, depending on the complexity of the case.
- Casual dress is acceptable, but dress should be appropriate for a court hearing.
- Abusive or disruptive behavior or any sign of intoxication will not be tolerated.
- There are no fees for the hearings.
- Hearings are open to the public and recorded on audio tape.
The judge will usually not give a decision at the close of the hearing, but will generally notify your attorney in about 30 days. Note: If you plead guilty or
no contest in court to the criminal charge, the DMV hearing beomes moot: Your driving privilege will be suspended.
The Nevada Office of Administrative Hearings may be contacted at (775) 684-4572 or toll-free at (800) 992-0900. The Las Vegas offices is located at:
Office of Administrative Hearings
2701 E. Sahara Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89109
Phone: (702) 486-4940